Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Victory Patterns - Satsuki Top and Dress

You can tell I am starting to think about summer with all these loose, drapy patterns.  I've liked this one for ages and finally got around to downloading the pdf version.  While I find it a complete drag to print and tape pdf patterns it is fantastic to buy it and receive it moments rather than weeks later.

Satsuki (autocorrect keeps changing to satsuma, one is bound to sneak in this post) can be made as a top or dress and there are is also an unbelted version with a ruffle.  The shoulder cut outs are optional too so there are a few different variations you can make with this pattern.

I started with the belted top with no shoulder cutouts using a blue printed cotton and although it has a kind of stripe effect I didn't have enough fabric to match so I just ignored it, I figured it wouldn't matter too much in this style.  I raised the neckline a bit, but probably didn't need to, I think it would look better lower.  I really liked the print when I bought it (obviously!), but made up in this style it is in danger of veering into sort of tacky loud shirt territory.  Maybe with shorts and in a resort setting I will feel a bit more enthusiastic about it.

Against all commonly accepted rules, I find the best fabric for me to wear in our hot, humid summers is jersey which is why I boringly make lots of repeats in easy knit dresses, this is what I live in for half the year.  If the fabric has a print that isn't going to show up any sweat marks (sorry for TMI!) then even better.  So I was keen to try the dress version out in a printed ITY jersey.

I love how this dress feels to wear, but again it does feel a bit like a kaftan / pool cover up and I think it will take a bit of getting used to wearing in the city.  The pattern is really simple to sew and there are some great versions out there, I just don't love it yet as much as I wanted or expected to.

Friday, 6 May 2016

BurdaStyle 5/2016 - 115 ; On Me

Our floor renovation is finished thank goodness, it was a far messier job than I had anticipated, the flat was an absolute bombsite, the cats were traumatised and both my husband & I got sick with allergies from the mountains of sawdust.  I love the finished look, but would not do it again in a hurry!

During, before & after.

So, as promised I've taken some photos of both the dress and top from my last post.  For some reason my camera did not like the colour of my dress at all, it is a teal green and I've had to lighten the photos quite a lot so you can see anything.

The only change I made to both pieces was to topstitch the neckline seam allowance down, it's definitely helped it sit better, but I think a higher neckline and a smaller neckband might work better.   I'm really glad I raised the neckline, it would be falling off my shoulders otherwise so watch out for this if you decide to make it.

The dress unbelted, I like it more than I thought I would.  Still need that long necklace though.

Belted.  I'm more comfortable wearing it like this, it has a very grecian draped dress look to it.

 I really doubt the cape effect back will stay on the shoulders long in real life wear.

Here is the top - you can see the neckband collapsing a bit more here which is why I think either thicker material or a narrower band would work better.