Pages

Wednesday 9 December 2015

BurdaStyle 10/2015 - 110 Top & 108 Collar

Thanks to Sue for spotting that this pattern was a special offer on the Burda site on the very day I posted the dress version.  I honestly thought it was a typo, but I did a bit of digging around and Burda are offering a 25 cent pattern, bundle or course each day till December 25th, a fantastic opportunity to try their patterns if you don't already subscribe to the magazine.  You can access them daily from here.

Anyway here is the top version of the pattern, there is also an accompanying cape / collar thingy.

Pdf download version

I made this from quite a heavy double knit which is great for holding the shape of the collar on both pieces, but a bit impractical, it will have to be just the right weather to be able to wear a sleeveless top in a heavy fabric.  Somewhere indoors I suppose is the easy answer to that!


Construction is identical to the dress in my previous post, except there really was no need for a zip this time so I left it off.  The collar is a very quick and easy project.

You can see I have a bit of pulling at the back v from the bands.  The point of the V is better than on my dress, but it is pulling where the other side meets it, it really shows up in photos - I need to try and fix that, hoping a few handstitches to take the strain off will do the trick....


Bingo!  Had to go off and try this straight away.  As I thought I was able to fix this problem by just handstitching on the inside where the two bands cross each other.  It's not perfect, but much better and a quick and easy fix.



Here is the top with the collar.








Here I am wearing it, I just threw it on with the jeans I already had on, I think it will look better with a pencil skirt, maybe in a double knit too.  Good excuse to go fabric shopping (as if I needed one!).








11 comments:

  1. Wonderful top Allison. I bought this too and I really love how a) you worked it out and b) how you've styled it. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks terrific with jeans... it's like two tops in one (but two pieces... pretty silly comment but you know what I mean). Looks like it could be dressed up or down. Thanks for the tip about the .25c patterns or courses ... can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison not fair ... I am at work and you make me so THIRSTY for sewing :) I am LOVING your top ... FIESTA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pair! I should make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful top! And a brilliant fix to a small "problem". There are so many times when a few hand stitches seem to solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cape looks whackamole on the Burda model but your version looks great!!! I'm actually inspired to make the set now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an interesting top but I have to tell you I really like it on you! Nice job...and it looks great over your jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great pattern, and need to have another look at it, as it looks perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look and the versatility of two looks for one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this pattern in my collection of Burda magazines. Your post has inspired me to find it and try it. Looks good with jeans too.

    Good job!

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete