Pages

Tuesday 3 March 2015

Vogue 1247 Rachel Comey skirt

I'm back from Austalia and pleased to report that we had lovely weather and I did get to wear my new dresses out to dinner - Sydney has some amazing restaurants, thank goodness for the elasticated waists!

While there I met up with Maria and Sharon , who both came to Hong Kong last year, and spent an afternoon of coffee, lunch, chatting and, oh maybe some fabric shopping.  They made me, I tell you!  We visited Pitt St Trading, a gorgeous store and a refreshing change for someone used to rummaging about in markets, The Remnant Warehouse, a great source for activewear and bra fixings, and NSW Leather, a must visit if you want leather with it's jaw dropping selection.  Having never sewn with leather I had no idea where to even begin there, but I will do some planning before my next visit.  Thank you ladies for a lovely afternoon!

Here's what I picked up, I can get a huge range of cheap fabric locally so I tried to focus on unique pieces that would be harder to track down here.

From Pitt St:
A digital print jersey, a burnt orange (despite what the photo says) doubleknit and a stretch cotton sateen remnant;

Matt black sequinned fabric;

Stretch burnout velvet in a dark purple with an ombre effect, also impossible to photograph, but it is stunning;

From The Remnant Warehouse:

Two lightweight silk cotton prints and two pieces of powermesh.


Previously Maria had gifted me some fabric so on the day we met I wore this new skirt that I made from it and utterly failed to take a single photo, you know how it is when you meet fellow sewists - time just flies.  This is the very popular Vogue 1247 Rachel Comey separates pattern.


I made a size 12 and lengthened it from a mini to just on the knee.  I was too lazy to bind all the seams, although it does make for a lovely finish, and instead just used my serger.  I get why this is such a popular pattern - it is a basic a-line shaped skirt, but the inseam pockets in the front seam are a great, fun little detail.







Funnily enough, Sharon was wearing her version of both the skirt and top, I really want to make the top too, but lots of people have reported sizing issues.  Sharon gave me some tips and references to look up so I'm going to try it soon.  By then I hope Spring will have arrived and I will be more inclined to model a summery outfit!

I've got a few tops to post next, plus a ton of workout gear, then I am diving into the new stuff!

11 comments:

  1. This is my all time favourite skirt pattern and I have lost count of the number of variations I have made. I have yet to make a print though! The top I made twice but was never very happy with it.

    I love the burnout fabric. I made a top last winter from burnout with satin trim and it was a favourite. I am looking forward to seeing what you make from your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad we were able to shop together again as a couple of my local haunts. Granted it's not SSP but I had a great time catching up with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had fun. Great buys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Glad you had a lovely trip Down Under :) This is Katharine, not Bruno, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made this shirt once, and want to make up the skirt. Love the fabric you picked for this and thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely fabric. I've made the top but not the skirt, it's been on my list forever. I think the sizing on the top is good but you have to embrace an oversized fit. The only modification I have used is raising the center V. Just cutting with extra fabric at CF which could be trimmed later if needed. In a soft fabric I think it's a beautiful flattering top. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful fabric you found! This skirt is really nice. I bought the pattern for the top, but I think I'll have to try out the skirt first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun. I love your skirt, and your fabric haul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, nice skirt, how much did you lengthen it? I just finished mine in a brown corduroy last week. Even with 6 extra inches, it's still well above my knees ! I made the top last year, if memory serves, I went down 2 sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your skirt looked great on our day out and I've just remembered I delivered the fabric during my visit :)

    You purchased some great fabrics and I can't wait to see what you make with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really sorry I didn't meet you while you were in Sydney as I know Sharon and Maria. I have this pattern and keep meaning to sew it up. Love to know what your plans for the grey mesh are as I have the same piece.

    ReplyDelete