Pages

Friday 13 February 2015

McCall's 6844 Cardigan / Jacket

I recently started getting adverts coming into my gmail account along with a message that I could go into my account settings to change them.  When I went into my profile, where I had only input the bare minimum of details, I saw that "based on the websites that I visit" they have decided I am in the over 65's age group!  Well thank you google!  I find it kind of hilarious and also a bit sad that sewing is still stereotyped that way, but I figure over 65's get sent less email adverts than the over 40's so I'm leaving my profile unchanged.

Anyway......

I've previously made view C of this deservedly popular pattern and this time tried out view B, the longer length straight version.


I used a hefty doubleknit for this, slightly unsure how it would work out to be honest, but I love the end result which looks like a blazer, but has all the practical advantages of a jersey cardigan. Plus it is so much quicker and easier to sew than a blazer, I made this in an evening (and I am no speedy sewer).




While flitting around the internet (looking at sites suited to 65+ ladies naturally!) I found this similar looking Donna Karan jacket made from a stretch linen blend (and costing 1,335 pounds, though that does include the leather belt!).



Again I made the small size, although I did add a little extra to the side seams below the waist and also to the width of the arms as my heavy fabric has less stretch.  I had a bit of fabric left over so I made a tie belt in case I want to go with a different, more casual look and of course there is the Donna Karan option of a proper belt.

I have one small tip to share - often when I am sewing a corner I do not trim off the seam allowances, but instead press them in the shape of the corner, then hold them with my fingers as I turn the fabric right side out.  The seam allowances kind of fill the shape of the corner and I get a much better result than trimming.  The photos below show this on bottom edge of the neckband.



I often wear a blazer jacket with jeans, either dressed up with a dressy top or dressed down with a tshirt and I think this knit jacket is going to be a favourite, I'll definitely be looking out for more jersey like this so I can make it in more colours.  Colours that are easier to take photos of.  I've had to really adjust the exposure in these so you can see the jacket which has done weird things to my skin, don't worry I am ok!

Unbelted


With tie belt

With leather belt



20 comments:

  1. gmail has no tact.
    Your new jacket is worth every penny - and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that turned out great! & yes it is a popular pattern & I keep telling myself I'm going to make it, I know what you mean about colors of fabrics, I have some gray that no mattter what I do it looks like it's been dipped in clorox when photgraped, now I think I'll go inot the sewing room & find that pattern lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sweater/jacket! I've only seen the version made with the peplum - this version is very flattering :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this belted! You're making me want to sew another one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Alison at least it was only online. The ticket seller on my ferry asked me if I had a Seniors Card this week. I was shattered!
    Lovely cardigan and a stunner for any age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very flattering unbelted. I also like it with the leather belt. The tie belt? brings a bathrobe to mind. Nice classy look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice job - the pattern& fabric has such a nice drape .
    All versions look stylish - belted, unblelted etc .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Adding that pattern to my list to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really like this! I bought this pattern a few weeks ago and haven't been able to find an affordable sweater knit for it, so I think I will follow your lead and use ponte for it! Looks very office-appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to be get a lot of wear, it looks smart in all three versions, although the self belt is very casual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny those ad hawkers! Love your sweater. I've made the same one twice, in both Ponte and a thick sweater knit, which I add a hood to.
    I'm sure you'll get lots of wear from yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats funny you old thing! Not that there is anything wrong with being over 65…unless you are under 65. Good work on the jacket too. Getting the right fabric is key.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same project over here that I need to finish up. It really turned out well in that double knit. You will definitely get a lot of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it Allison. Isn't that a great pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  15. As an over 65s I'm not so sure about less ads :)

    I love your jacket. The peplum version on the front of the pattern has never grabbed me but the more I see the straight version the more I like it. Looks like the perfect throw on wear anywhere jacket which is just what I'm looking for and yours is it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The proportions on that are great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so great on you - very flattering. I might have to check this pattern out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love sweater jackets, especially with the option of a tie belt. Yours turned out so well -- very flattering. Now I need to go check out my google profile -- probably listed as an over-65 too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this cardigan! Looks so polished! I ordered this pattern and can't wait till I make it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been looking to make a knit blazer, this might be the pattern. I prefer it with the real belt it makes it less casual.

    ReplyDelete