Pages

Saturday 6 December 2014

McCall's 6996 and 6844 Cardigans

I am probably the last person in the sewing universe to make these popular cardigan patterns.  I couldn't decide which one to get so I decided to try both of them.

6996


6844

These are both great patterns and quick to sew, but the instructions especially for 6844, are awful, everything that the Big 4 get criticised for is here.  I can deal with the fact that the existence of sergers is completely ignored, but given these patterns are for knits, the instructions to ease stitch shoulder seams, staystitch necklines, double stitch seams and gather sleeve caps are all just unnecessary time wasters that won't produce better results.

So here are the versions I made, largely ignoring the instructions naturally though these are so striaghtforward to put together that there isn't a lot to say about the construction.  I have a horrible cold so don't be alarmed that I look like a ghost, I was determined to get photos this weekend whatever.

6996 
This is the simpler of the two cardigan patterns so I chose this one for two busier pieces of sweaterknit in my stash.

This black sequin number in view A will be ideal for those casual events when I want a bit of sparkle.  The sequins were small enough that I didn't use any special techniques, just cut, sewed and serged like any fabric.  It did make an almighty mess though!





The second Missoni-esque version is in the view B longer length,I love the colours in this this fabric : teal, brown, taupe.  I need to make some coordinating tanks I think.  I used the sleeve notches to match the pattern.  It is quite a floaty fabric though and might have been better suited to the more substantial 6844 pattern.





6844
I think the banded 6844 is the better pattern, there is a bit more to it and the collar band gives it more structure so it can substitute a jacket.  I made view C (sorry peplum haters!) in a teal doubleknit.  Interestingly there are two photos of this version on the website, one belted and one not and the description states that the cardigans do not meet at centre front which I find a bit confusing, it just depends how you wear it.



I went down a size to a small based on reviews - the fit is fine except in the arms which are pretty narrow on me and in my doubleknit fabric.  I like the look, but it means I won't be layering this over another sweater.



I had trouble attaching the collar band, the layers kept shifting as I tried to sew them so I removed the interfacing that was preventing the band facing from stretching with the collar band and then it went in perfectly.  Perhaps with a softer fabric the interfacing is needed, but my doubleknit has enough structure by itself.



These are all great additions to my winter wardrobe and I am sure I will be making more and trying the other options soon, especially as they are so quick and easy.

26 comments:

  1. Gosh you have a good eye for swish cardigans. They all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great and very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those all look really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cardigans. Great wardrobe addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all fantastic, but my fave is the sequined one! Stunning impact!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I made a bunch of these last year and I'm finally getting weather cold enough to wear them again, so I'm excited. I also found the sleeves on the second pattern to be tight when I used a double knit, so I totally agree with your assessment of the pattern. Everything looks totally fantastic on you though! Can't wait to see if you make more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First sorry that you're not feeling well...I like all of your new cardigans but especially love the sequin version! BTW, I felt the same way about the M6844 pattern instructions. I plan on making again and I will be ignoring the instructions too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All so good looking! I looove the first two with the longer line, really pretty on you. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great new wardrobe of cardigans! The sequinned version is my fav! I have that same "floaty" fabric and definitely agree with your description. I find my top made with it clings more than I like so it lingers in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like all three! And you are not the last to make these types of cardigans up. I haven't attempted any either. Without some type of collar, ruffle or pocket detail they make me look flat as a pancake. But you don't have that issue; they all look great on your figure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of them, but I do like the sequined one the best. Question, do the sequins bother you at the neck?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a fantastic set of cardis. You have inspired me. I think I need to make some, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sequined version the most though they all look great on you! I too have yet to get on the band wagon with this pattern. Your sequined version has convinced me to give it try for my holiday sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. both cardigans turned out great! I recently bought the McCalls 6844 simply like you say everybody's doing it lol! & I feel the need to make one as well lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the sequin version. What a smart idea for adding sparkle to an outfit. I may have to make a cardigan like this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous cardigans. They all look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them all but the sequined one is particularly fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great collection of cardigans suitable for every occasion. The idea of using sequined fabric is great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant idea to use sequined fabric, it is so stylish and all the cardis are very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are all gorgeous but now I want to make a sequin cardigan lol. I think I shall lol. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very inspiring. And flattering. The sequin one is really something. Must try this one too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great trio of new cardis! Lots of choice for whatever the day throws at you. I love that sparkly version - perfect for the upcoming party season.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Unstructured cardigans are fantastic wardrobe builders. I like all of them but my favorite is the teal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are all beautiful. You have done a terrific job with the mizzoni ish version. And the sequin is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the sequin cardigan.
    It is sew 😊 beautiful and eligent.
    I would love to make one, but with a sequin fabric too. You definitely inspired me.

    Thanks
    👗 Aracellis (Sally)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! All your clothes are stunning. You look amazing and I love your sense of style. The idea of using Stretch Sequins fabric is great!

    ReplyDelete