Pages

Friday 6 June 2014

Wadder Warning! - Burda Style 05/2014 - 105 Top

Firstly thanks for the encouragement on the rare pants sighting on this blog, I am fired up to try more.  That particular pattern is quite low rise in the front and a bit higher in the back - which for me, once I'd dealt with the straight waistband, is really ideal for my shape, but maybe be sensible, unlike me, and test them first.  Which brings me nicely on to.....

.....In case the title doesn't say it loud enough I'm going to get straight to the point and say this was a total wadder for me.  I am a fan of Burda's patterns and in particular their consistent sizing so it pains me a bit to say this, but the fit on this was awful - the neckline was far too wide, the sleeves very narrow and the top just wouldn't stay on my shoulders at all.  If you decide to make this or the dress version I highly recommend a muslin first.

It would probably have been OK if I spent the whole day posed like this model and held a torch to blind anyone who tried to take a closer look (I really should be more suspicious of pattern photos like this!).


Which is not what I did, oh no, I cut straight into some lovely red silk jersey.  For some reason I always get an urge to whip up something at the 11th hour before a trip and often it turns out to be unsuitable in some way, perhaps I'll learn one of these days.  Here is the sorry result (the back neckline is still unfinished here, I knew when to quit!).  I do think it's important to show the bad stuff, but dwelling on it is just a bit depressing so one picture and let's move on!



I had to salvage the fabric so I hacked off the top half and with the off cuts just managed to squeeze out a simple cowl top from Burda Style 05/2013 albeit with an extra seam below the waist.  I've made this a couple of times before from leftovers as it uses a small amount of fabric if you ignore Burda's instructions to cut it on the bias - it doesn't seem to be necessary in a knit.  It feels nice to wear, but is a bit ordinary for the lovely fabric sadly.


This is the top I was wearing in my previous pants post, here is a dodgy cropped picture from that post.




18 comments:

  1. Lucky you could salvage some it the lovely fabric. Shame plan A didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new top is lovely also. Too bad the first didn't work. Thanks for the heads up on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That is deep and wide. Good save!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not very often than Burda gets the sizing wrong. I never make muslins with Burda, and maybe I should specially when the model photo is weird... Anyway I think you saved that pretty fabric and it looks great as a cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm i made the dress version and didnt have any problems with the pattern. Sad it didnt work for you. But still a nice top

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you had a bad pattern experience Allison. Great save though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How frustrating but so glad you managed to save some of the fabric for a cute top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rescue was successful. I've have a similar wadder with an under engineered Vogue cowl top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Augh! I'm so sorry that happened-the pattern looked really cool to me too! Now you've pointed it out the line diagram does look like an off the shoulder type thing..Perhaps they drafted it for something more stable like a cotton jersey? I own one silk jersey piece and it is extremely stretchy and slinky and I've held off on making anything with it. It's good you managed to squeeze something else out of it though..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry that this didn't work out for you but great save!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, and I liked that pattern too! I was a bit worried about how wide the neck was... and now I know better. Too bad the top didn't work out, but I appreciate you sharing so I don't make the same mistake.

    Also, yay for saving the fabric? Maybe not what you wanted, but the top looks really wearable, so at least you will get some good use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, such a pretty fabric too. That color really looks great on you.
    At least you have something salvaged from it. Good save.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm afraid to say I had a similar experience with this top! Mine did not turn out to be quite as bad, and I have worn it once with a cami underneath, but I haven't reached once for it since.
    I like your plan B top though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, that's a pity. I must say I don't recognize it at all. I made three versions, the first one was supposed to be a muslin, but turned out to be wonderfully wearable. Great rescue though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty fabric and glad you could salvage it. I know that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Allison, what a save, but your expression in the cropped photo says it all. I understand! On the bright side, not a lot of people have a simple top that's custom-fit and in a luxurious fabric, so there is that :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had the same problem with the dress version! I thought it was me... The sleeves are too tight and they keep sliding. It is a pity, I loved the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made 2 dresses using that pattern and I think I will make more for sure! I did however take out some fabric so the neckline is not as wide as in the pattern. It's a pity it didn't work for you but I like you back-up plan - it turn out well!

    ReplyDelete