Pages

Thursday 10 October 2013

Patrones 305/4 - Shorts

Here's something you don't see everyday on this blog - shorts!  In fact I don't think I've even worn shorts for about 10 years, but there is something about vacation dressing that I find quite liberating so I thought I would give it a go.

This is the same fabric that I used for my khaki pencil skirt so it has a bit of stretch to it.  The fabric remnant only cost me around US$ 5 so I was pretty happy with being able to squeeze two garments out of it, and aside from having to invest a bit of time this was the perfect fabric for a bit of experimentation.

To take it one step further I used a Patrones magazine pattern, pattern 4 from issue 305.  I have a couple of years worth of these Spanish pattern magazines and they do seem to like their shorts, this particular style came with a large photograph in the magazine which helped me figure out how to make them.





 I started with a size 42 (the sizing is different to Burda where I am a 38-40) which required very little alteration and I lengthened them by a good few inches.  Not ready for short shorts just yet, baby steps!


I speak practically no Spanish so I just winged it on the construction, but these went together fairly easily.  The only part that gave me trouble was the front waistband detail, I couldn't figure out how to get a neat and bulk free finish with the 3 separate pieces.  Then I realised that since the shorts have a side zipper I could just fake the look of the front.  I redrafted the waistband as a single piece with just a pleat where the buttons are, topstitching the edges of the pleat to mimic the original design.  This worked brilliantly if I say so myself, sometimes having no instructions can be a good thing and make you think for yourself.


These are the last of my Italy modelling photos, I do have a couple more things I made for the collection that didn't get worn so they will be coming soon and I will try and engineer some more interesting Hong Kong photos than the back of my front door.


 


Cats everywhere, I don't know who feeds them but they are all fatter than my own stay at home, do nothing all day moggies.  I realise this is a BurdaStyle kind of photo where you can't see the shorts at all, but well, cats!

This is inside the grounds of the Palazzo Pitti in Florence, one of the residences of the Medici family.




15 comments:

  1. I adore you new shorts! You should wear them often, you look good even in a potato sack!I love,love,love your Italy pictures! Specially in Siena and Florence my favorite places in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you shorts. I only wear shorts on vacation. I made 4 pair for our next trip to Florida. I am excited to go on vacation and to wear my new shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute shorts, I really like the front waistband/pockets look. Funny that you never wear shorts. I wear shorts all the time at home but never when in Italy. But it is certainly fun to make them as they take small amounts of fabric and you can have whatever color you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice top stitching!! These are great - not your average shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shorts! I'm always looking for interesting shorts patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shorts look wonderful! Great detail. Thank-you for the armchair travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I love the details. I speak a little Spanish, but not enough for the Patrones instructions to make any sense (and even popping them into google translate never helped much) so I think winging it is the only way to go with a Patrones pattern. Yours look really nice and like a useful vacation wardrobe addition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that issue and like these shorts too, just haven't had the courage to make them yet - also because I rarely wear shorts but maybe I will be more inclined if I made them myself! :) Yours look great, I like the colour and I especially like your "Burdastyle kind of photo", that made me giggle...ohh kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh these are lovely. They do come up with interesting patterns don't they? I tagged these but haven't gotten around to starting summer sewing yet.. or any kind of sewing for that matter XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! How come that I missed these pattern? I have that issue and never "saw" it!
    With Patrones you never know: Some times the instructions are alright but others not so good. I find a bit annoying that to get our size 42 we have to trace between the 40 and 44 lines.

    Kakhi shorts, another basic to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great in shorts! I wore shorts out in the 35 degree heat today and didn't really care what they looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those shorts! They look like they are comfortable. Love the double buttons on the waist band. And am especially loving the cat picture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those shorts look really great. I haven't worn shorts for a very long time but these could persuade me to try.
    Nice cats too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new shorts! I haven't worn shorts in a decade, either - no reason to wear them! Even on vacations in hotter climates I've put on skirts/dresses. Your new pair are a great colour and style - I'm sure you'll wear them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice shorts! I'm not the shorts type either, but they seam perfect for travelling. Yours look very nice, comfy and well-fitting!

    ReplyDelete