Pages

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Burda 08/2009 - 117 Top

This is the second top of my mini wardrobe, made up in a silk charmeuse print.


I may not have picked out this print if I had not been forced down a specific colour palette by my other top, but I love it. It has a lot of great colours so I think it will really work in my wardrobe - current and future. One side of the selvedge is extra wide and helpfully has little boxes showing all the colours in the print so I have trimmed this off to take fabric shopping with me. Don't worry I won't be succumbing to bubblegum pink pants, but most of the colours are really workable.


The only change I made to this top was to add two long, narrow ties in the side seams as it is quite a boxy top.



The edges of the flounce are finished with a narrow zig zag which turned out to be a great technique ;

First, straight stitch on the seamline, fold and press. Use a narrow zig zag right on the folded edge of the fabric - experiment with samples to determine the size of the stitch you prefer.


Trim close to the stitching (very carefully!).

View from right side.

I will take some pictures of me wearing it tomorrow when I prepare my mini wardrobe contest entry at the 11th hour no doubt. I just have a skirt hem to finish and that's all the sewing done, but I do find that the reviews and taking half decent photos can take a while so I hope I can get it all done in time.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely. I have used that edge technique on a full bias skirt many years ago. It is a very attractive finish. Good luck with the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Nice fininsh on the edge.... great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty blouse! The zigzag is a nice finish on the ruffle. I am looking forward to seeing your whole mini wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flounce on your top seems so full and bouncy - love it! Did you do anything extra to get it that way? This is going to be an awesome mini-wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these colors! (And since my mini-wardrobe never got past the planning stage, great job gettin it done in the middle of travel!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the side ties you added - great way to give the top a bit more shape. I'm so excited to see your final storyboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great top! I love the edge finish and the ties on the sides!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty top - I love that print!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow, I love that print! Never meet a paisley I didn't like! I love that you added a waist tie, that's something I would have done or else the whole thing would be too boxy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great blouse! I love the fabric, it must feel fabulous on the skin. Thanks for the zig-zag tips and tricks, it really looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful blouse - it's a very pretty style and the fabric is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That little blouse looks so cool and comfortable, and perfect for summer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! This top is on my sewing list too! Yours came out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm planning to make a blouse with front ruffles, and have been struggling with how I'd finished the edges. Thanks for much for the helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. it looks great! I need to think of making this top too, as yours turned out so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely top - especially in that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the link to your blog! I recently tried a shirt with a front flounce and gave up trying to do the flounce! I just ordered a 2mm rolled hem foot, but I think I'll try your technique! Thanks! Love your shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this. All your outfits look so wonderful

    ReplyDelete